Tuesday, March 3, 2009

WOODLAND WATTLE: FORMAL & INFORMAL

Used by tribes in Africa I observed what my late mentor & friend, Mary Kistner did with her woodland leaves-branches-rocks-etc.
.
CREATE A WATTLE: PULL WOODLAND DEBRIS INTO A SERPENTINE LINE. 3.5' AT THE BASE & TAPERING TOWARD THE TOP, NO MORE THAN 4' TALL. Wattles prevent leaves, in a woodland setting, from blowing back onto paths and into desirable bushes.
They don't photograph well. Clients & students cringe at my wattle words & pictures.

Every client & student visiting my wattles has gone home, excited, & created their own wattles.
.
No more hauling the stuff off, or worse, paying to have it hauled off.
.
Instead you're creating a butterfly habitat.
.
You're composting without effort.
.
My wattles are over a decade old. What I've never seen in my wattle: rats, snakes, coons.
.
I've designed wattles into landscapes for over 15 years.
.
For more drama, you knew it was coming, break a wattle open for a pathway. Break it open about 3.5'-4' wide. Place rocks from your property at each end of the wattle opening.
.
Mary Kistner died at age 83 about 5 years ago. She grew up on an apple orchard in upstate New York.
.
Formal Wattle: Use one type of debris.
.
Informal Wattle: Uses multiple types of debris.
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara


No comments:

Post a Comment